Jimi Oh, Class of 2015
Welcome to Stern family, MBA1s. I hope you enjoyed LAUNCH and I am sure you are thrilled to start your MBA journeys in the greatest city in the world. These next two years will be challenging and rewarding at the same time. One thing I can assure you is that you chose the right place in Stern.
Welcome back, MBA2s, hope you had amazing experiences at your summer internships and hope you are ready for another great year with the best classmates in the world. Congratulations to those who have decided where to work upon graduation and best of luck to those who will be recruiting this year to find the dream job.
I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce SGov to our new students and share with everyone some of the exciting objectives SGov has for this school year.
What is SGov and what does it do?
SGov stands for Stern Student Government. SGov board is comprised of both MBA1s and MBA2s and we represent the interests of full-time MBA students, act as the governing body for all graduate student organizations, and build and maintain Stern’s strong community of trust. SGov works closely with administration and faculty to create outstanding academic, leadership, and recreational experiences for all students.
Last year, SGov sponsored a vote on grade non-disclosure policy per strong interest among Stern students; the vote passed with more than two thirds of votes favoring the policy. We also focused on ways to better utilize Stern’s space—we made the beer blast room available as a study space outside of beer blast hours and worked with the Office of Career Development (OCD) to make their interview rooms available for phone interviews and informational calls with prospective employers.
What is SGov planning to do this year?
This year, we are going to work on the following initiatives.
- SGov student life committees will work harder than ever before to ensure that we are doing our best to advocate student priorities and serve students’ needs
- SGov will work with the OCD to ensure all students are getting adequate level of support in career development, regardless of what industry they pursue
- SGov will work with administration to launch a program in which Stern alumni will be allowed to come back and take Stern courses every few years
- SGov vows to offer more opportunities for our students to give back to our community via various community service activities throughout the year
- SGov will throw the best business school parties in the world at which you will have some of the best times your lives with other awesome Sternies
These are some of the plans we have for this school year, feel free to reach out to me (email@example.com) with any ideas or suggestions you have to make Stern a better place for us.
Class of 2016, I encourage you to get involved with SGov if you want to make a positive impact while you are at Stern. There will be many exciting opportunities for you to get involved with SGov in various functionalities including alumni relations, career development, community service, events, and many more. SGov wants you.
Let’s have the best year Stern will have ever seen!
El Presidente de SGov